[FFmpeg-devel] Dropping SDL1 support [VOTE]

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:07:36 EEST 2016

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'd rather have SDL1 support dropped. ffplay is the only thing on my
>> machine which uses libsdl1.2
>
> And we already (everybody) agreed that we want to switch to SDL2
> so that you (and others) do not have to use (or depend on) sdl1
> anymore.
> But this is an entirely different question that is completely unrelated
> to your installation:
> Do we allow developers to continue to use sdl1 to test on their
> old (but supported) Linux distributions or do we forcibly stop
> them from contributing here?

If you think its too much to ask a developer to either run a more
modern OS or manually install one dependency, then I don't think we
can help you.
You want other developers to do more work, just so that one or two
developers can stick to their antiquated development machines?

I find it odd that we typically ask much more of users then we can
even expect from our developers.

- Hendrik