[FFmpeg-devel] Patch for CUDA Scale Filter

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Mon Apr 17 13:22:00 EEST 2017

Am 17.04.2017 um 08:59 schrieb Yogender Gupta:
>>> Please find attached a CUDA based scale filter. This filter will be a starting point to add other CUDA based filters. The filter supports 420-8, 420-10, 444-8, 444-10 formats and will help to do complete 10-bit HW accelerated transcoding when using >> CUVID.
>>> Currently the filter requires a manual step of generating the PTX files. The commands for generating the PTX files have been put in build.bat inside the CUDA folder that has been created as a subfolder within libavfilter.
>>> There is an existing scale_npp filter however that filter supports only 8 bit and has lower performance than the current one.
>
> Are there any plans to include this in the repo. Anything that I can support here to make it worthy.
>
> Thanks,
> Yogender

I'm generally in favor of adding CUDA based filtering, there's a lot of
nice stuff that could be done that way.

But there is one big issue with this approach:

Having to run a .bat file prior to building isn't really nice, and not
something I and some other people on IRC would like to see in ffmpeg.

Instead, it would be nice if configure/make would learn how to handle
.cu files, converting them straight to an object-file.
My idea for this would be to teach the Makefiles about .cu files, and
using a shell script as their compiler.
That script can then call nvcc and include the ptx2c functionality, and
additionally also calls the designated C compiler, so for the build
system it converts .cu to .o.

Also, due to these kind of filters having to include cuda.h, they need
to be put behind --enable-nonfree in configure.

That's what I have in mind so far. I didn't have time for a full review
of the code yet, so can't say much about the filter itself.