[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.4

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Aug 26 18:39:07 EEST 2017

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 12:32:08PM -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 8/26/2017 12:20 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> >> Could this wait until after the major bump? I'm currently working on
> >> cherry picking the relevant changes.
> >> We really don't need another release using this set of major versions.
> >> The less amount of releases using them we have to maintain the better.
> >
> > i remember no discussion about a major bump
>
> I mentioned in another thread my intention to cherry pick the relevant
> changes seeing merges are currently on hold with the bump commit not too
> far in the queue.
> I'm currently ironing some details and I'll send a patchset later for
> review with the adapted cherry picked changes. And if for whatever
> reason people don't want the bump now, then the work will at least be
> already done for when the merges resume.
>

> > but assuming there would be a discussion on ffmpeg-devel and people
> > would agree to bump then i think releasing before is better.
> >
> > It makes the new features available throgh the current API/ABI and
> > we would avoid making a release shortly after major changes.
> > That would give such changes more time to be tested before a release
>
> There have been like four releases using these current library major
> versions, and the ABI was accidentally broken at least twice. It would
> be IMO much better if we don't release another one that would extend the
> amount of time we have to maintain it and its deprecated APIs.
>
> And I never said to release shortly after a bump. 3.4 (maybe renumbered
> to 4.0) could simply be released a month or two after the bump. That
> amount is nonetheless needed to properly deal with any needed ABI
> related corrections.
> There's really no rush to get another release out there right this
> moment. But if you prefer doing a last release before the bump then I'll
> not block it.

I would prefer to do a release before the bump, that is if i find
the time. I do not intend to hold something up, and some people also
want and will likely want to get some changes in before the release.

So yeah, my plan is a 3.4 with the current API/ABI if it works out
timewise between what people want in and the next bump and my time

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct answer.