[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] [ffmpeg-web] branch master updated. 979b3a6 web/contact: note that no discussions occur on cvslog and trac mailing lists
lou at lrcd.com
Thu Dec 21 21:32:50 EET 2017
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017, at 4:07 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Where was this agreed upon?
> Carl Eugen
As a mailing list maintainer I made this decision based on the reality of the situation and due to developer feedback in the following three threads:
[FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] Refactor Developer Docs, update dev list section (v2)
[FFmpeg-devel] Accurately describing ffmpeg-cvslog list [was: Re: [PATCH] Refactor Developer Docs, update dev list section (v2)]
[FFmpeg-devel] Policy on ffmpeg-devel list and contributions [was: Re: [PATCH] Refactor Developer Docs, update dev list section (v2)]
* ffmpeg-cvslog is a log (in addition to git log and gitweb). ffmpeg-devel is the mailing list for development discussions. Development discussions should occur in one mailing list.
* There are at least 10x fewer subscribed users on ffmpeg-cvslog compared to ffmpeg-devel.
* Many (most?) developers do not subscribe to ffmpeg-cvslog.
* Attempts to discuss commits on ffmpeg-cvslog were often ineffectual because they were often missed or unread by those they were directed towards (refer to previous point).
* Developers that did reply to ffmpeg-cvslog often manually included ffmpeg-devel in the reply.
* All messages on ffmpeg-cvslog now have a reply-to header set to ffmpeg-devel.
* All non-log messages are now held in the queue by default.
I did not assume further discussion was required for this subject, but I am confident that the vast majority of developers will support this, in my opinion minor, decision.
More information about the ffmpeg-devel