[FFmpeg-devel] [rfc] tasks for new ffmpeg developers

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 03:37:02 EET 2017

On 2/6/2017 2:54 AM, Compn wrote:
> people new to the project join #ffmpeg-devel and ask us for help on how
> to start contributing to ffmpeg.
>
> usually none of us have any cohesive answers. mostly suggestions are to
> review bugs or patches or code. nothing really concise or organized.
>
> i've reviewed a few bugs and think these may be good starting points
> for new developers to try. they might also be useful for qualification
> tasks in the future? i dont know.
>
> i'm not sure how to organize these, maybe a trac keyword? for now ,
> i'll just post them here. if you have comments, suggestions, or just
> want to tell me that my idea is bad, please speak up.
>

> these have specs / open source implementations:
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5285
> Missing subtitle format. ISMT (xml based)
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4728
> support DICOM format (medical jpg image)
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1959
> Support codec2 (os audio codec)
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2377
> Support lossless mp3HD (abandoned? lossless audio codec)

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2439
allow to copy latm aac to raw aac without reencoding audio (Bitstream filter).

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4169
Support BPG Image format

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4490
Add a bitstream filter to strip the ATMOS substream from TrueHD

All of them can be done reusing existing code in libavcodec, or at least
have open source implementations.