[FFmpeg-devel] libavcodec memory usage

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:55:08 EET 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Matthieu Beghin <
matthieu.beghin at garagecube.com> wrote:

> > I'm assuming that you're talking about 8K H264 with pixfmt=yuv420p10? 8K
> yuv420p10 frames are 100MB
>
> Correct
>
> > 32 plus delayed output and current_pic gives H264_MAX_PICTURE_COUNT = 36
> without threading: 36*100=3.6GB.
>
> What do you mean by "delayed output” ? Can you link me to a document ?

Out-of-order coded P-frames, they are buffered internally but not counted
(and thus extra) on top of the max_refs value. I believe the spec calls
this dpb (delayed pic buffer).

> Or maybe consider ditching 32bit support?
>
> Unfortunately, that’s 10 years old app using OSX Carbon library (not 64
> bits), and rewriting that part would be too much work.

I'm frowning at you. Really badly.

As an alternative, is there a way to know how much bytes are buffered ?
> Iterating buffered frames ?

What are you hoping to accomplish by knowing how many bytes are buffered?
It doesn't solve the problem? But anyway, check
H264Context->short/long_ref[]; delayed_pic[] gives you the delayed output.

Ronald