[FFmpeg-devel] Snapping ffmpeg

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Thu Jun 1 16:47:07 EEST 2017

Am 01.06.2017 um 12:09 schrieb Alan Pope:
> Hello,
>
> I work for Canonical on Snapcraft [0]. We recently asked [1] our
> community of users and developers what applications they'd like to see
> snapped. ffmpeg came up on the list so I thought I'd contact your
> devel list in the first instance.
>
> Snaps are universal Linux packages. Developers can easily setup
> snapcraft to build [2] and push to the snap store, on each landing in
> the master branch. Testers and adventurous users can subscribe to the
> 'edge' channel and receive the firehose of updates automatically.
> Developers can then push a release to the 'stable' channel for more
> conservative users. Other channels and features are available, but
> that's the basics.
>
> On a snap supported system [3], the users simply "snap install ffmpeg"
> (for example) to install the binary build, adding "--edge" to
> subscribe to that channel.

Would this only grant access to the binaries, or also the
libraries/development files?

> Creating a simple yaml file [4] is all it takes to get started making
> a snap built. Would someone on the ffmpeg dev team be interested in
> taking a look at this as a new way to deliver up to date builds of
> ffmpeg to millions?

It'd be debatable which dependencies the built ffmpeg includes. A
minimal ffmpeg without most/any dependencies is already big enough, but
when bundling all external dependencies, it would result in a quite huge
download.

I'll have a look at this if nobody else is super eager to jump at it.