[FFmpeg-devel] HEVC Video Transcode Transfer VUI, SEI Information

Jan Ekstrom jeebjp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 20:26:16 EET 2017

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Ben Chang <benc at nvidia.com> wrote:

> In short, is there any way to transfer meta data between a decode and encode context in transcode scenario? If not, would it be supported in foreseeable future?

Hi,

AVFrames do contain fields for:
* color_primaries
* color_trc
* colorspace
... and then there is the "new" side data type for the mastering
display data (AVMasteringDisplayMetadata).

So in theory if the decoder exports that information (AVC supports at
least the first three, and HEVC the latter side data as well) and you
utilize those values of the AVFrame in the encoder module, that should
be possible to obtain. Also I think AVFilter also takes in AVFrames,
which makes utilization of such information and updating it throughout
the chain possible when using the libav* framework.

Also, the recently merged better initialization of inputs in ffmpeg.c
might possibly help with some formats if ffmpeg.c is utilized and the
components involved support using the information within the AVFrames.

Best regards,
Jan Ekström