[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg 3.3

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Fri Mar 31 16:19:01 EEST 2017

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 03:07:15PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 01:31:51PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:29:52PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > are there any issues/tickets that block making 3.3 ?
> > >
> > > What about the spherical API size_t / uint32_t issue ?
> > > we can change it before the release but not after it
> >
> > Ive finally branched release/3.3 off
> > feel free to backport anything
> > we also need release notes and all that stuff
> >
> > once we all agree ill make 3.3 from it
>
> wm4 and ubitux stated on irc that now is a bad time to release due to
> the many recent merges

Clarification on the situation: for a few days now, a few developers
including myself are working on catching up with the Libav merges. We were
at more than 1000+ commits a few weeks (days?) ago and we're at about 650
now (basically Libav in early November 2016).

It's hard to predict how long it will take to reach the 1:1 state again.
In the best case I'd say 3 weeks to 1 month, assuming no blocker and still
a large number of noops.

I also have much less time since I'm not in holidays anymore (yeah, I took
a few days of holidays to help with that).

That said, reaching a 1:1 state again will mean a more stable state (as in
"less changing") of the repository because the merges will be less
abundant, and thus more likely a time to make a release.

> so what shall we do ?

To quote myself on IRC so my position is know here:

14:55 <@ubitux> michaelni: i don't know what to do. no release is fine
with me. doing a release of the current state is not a good idea. doing a
release of a previous state should be ok but i don't see the point.

[...]

That said, if you wish to help with doing a clean release, help is welcome
on the merges. That includes doing cherry-picks in advance so they can be
noop'ed when reached in the timeline, or help trimming the bottom of
doc/libav-merge.txt.

Thanks,

--
Clément B.