[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH]lavc/v4l2_context: Change the type of the ioctl cmd to unsigned long

Mark Thompson sw at jkqxz.net
Sun Nov 5 03:46:09 EET 2017

On 05/11/17 00:46, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Attached patch fixes a warning on a current 64bit Linux system (that I
> do not see on my ancient system where the ioctl cmd has type int).
> Is there a better way to deal with it?

> Fixes a warning on recent Linux:
> libavcodec/v4l2_context.c: In function 'ff_v4l2_context_set_status':
> libavcodec/v4l2_context.c:496:26: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type

Huh.  I didn't realise that the standard Linux ioctl numbering actually acts differently on different achitectures (you don't hit this on ARM or x86-64 with a write-only ioctl, as VIDIOC_STREAMON is).

The patch is probably correct, though I think I would prefer the type to be uint32_t as the ioctl numbering in Linux really is 32-bit regardless of what some external prototypes (i.e. glibc) might say.  (Inside the kernel it's unsigned int, but uint32_t would be more explicit.)

Thanks,

- Mark