[FFmpeg-devel] Must I subscribe to ffmpeg-devel in order to submit a patch?

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at mail.de
Sun Nov 5 23:18:42 EET 2017

Am 05.11.17 um 21:37 schrieb Nicolas George:
> Le quartidi 14 brumaire, an CCXXVI, Jim DeLaHunt a écrit :
>> I'm gearing up to submit a patch, adding an FAQ to the documentation.
>> According to <http://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Submitting-patches>, "Patches
>> should be posted to the ffmpeg-devel
>> <https://lists.ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-devel> mailing list."  But
>> neither that section, nor the ffmpeg-devel list information at
>> <https://lists.ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-devel> is clear about
>> whether one must be subscribed to the list in order to post to it.
>
> The comments on your patch will be posted to the mailing-list. You need
> to read them.

Thanks for pointing it out, Jim. We'd appreciate it and welcome you to propose a patch for updating the corresponding docs.

Fact is, that it is in most cases of the author's best interest do participate in a following review and therefore subscription to the mailing list is highly recommended for that purpose like Nicolas pointed out.

However, if it really is in the authors intention, it is better to post a possible patch without caring about its future instead of not to post that patch at all. I think it should already be documented that it is appreciated but not necessary to use a real name for contributing.

Thanks,
Thilo