[FFmpeg-devel] Must I subscribe to ffmpeg-devel in order to submit a patch?

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Tue Nov 7 01:13:32 EET 2017

Hi,

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 21:52:28 -0700
Jim DeLaHunt <from.ffmpeg at jdlh.com> wrote:

> Hello, ffmpeg developers:
>
> I'm gearing up to submit a patch, adding an FAQ to the documentation.
> According to <http://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Submitting-patches>,
> "Patches should be posted to the ffmpeg-devel
> <https://lists.ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-devel> mailing list."
> But neither that section, nor the ffmpeg-devel list information at
> <https://lists.ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-devel> is clear about
> whether one must be subscribed to the list in order to post to it.

No, you do not need to be subscribed to any mailing list to send a
message or a patch.

However:

* You will not directly receive replies unless you ask to be CCd (and
  replying users will occasionally forget to do so).

* Your messages will remain in the moderation queue until a mailing
  list admin manually approves it which usually occurs once or twice a
  day but sometimes longer.

Although it is not necessary to do so it is recommended to subscribe
when submitting patches for these reasons. The volume of messages may be
considered to be high, but filtering the messages by List-Id is
effective in filtering them to a dedicated location. You can always
unsubscribe or disable receiving messages once your patch has been
accepted.

If you still do not want to subscribe you can always view messages and