[FFmpeg-devel] FATE on multiple platforms

Jim DeLaHunt from.ffmpeg-dev at jdlh.com
Wed Nov 15 02:56:55 EET 2017

On 2017-11-14 14:20, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>> One of my patches is in the review process. I am fairly new to
>> the patch submission process and have a query regarding
>> FATE testing on multiple platforms.
>> The patch includes a new FATE test and I am expected to get
>> it tested on ARM Linux, wine+MinGW, Ubuntu, MIPS Linux
>> and OS X.
> No?
>
> I believe you are expected to test it on those of these platforms
> that you have access to.
>
> Carl Eugen
I interpret Carl Eugen as saying that a developer is expected to test
their change on those platforms to which they have access, and so it's
OK if a developer does not have access to all platforms, does not
cross-compile, and does not test on all platforms.

On 2017-11-14 04:08, 刘歧 <lq at chinaffmpeg.org> wrote:
>> I have tested it on x86 64bit Ubuntu platform.   The fate test passes.
>>
>> ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-memory-poisoning --enable-avresample
>> sudo make -j4
>> make fate-filter-hls-vs-with-master
>> GEN	tests/data/hls-vs-with-master.m3u8
>> TEST    filter-hls-vs-with-master
>>
>> Currently, I do not have access to arm platform, so could you please help to resolve this issue? If I am not asking too much, can you please provide error file and report files generated, I will analyze them and find why the test is failing.
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide
>
> need test passed on ARM Linux、   wine+MinGW 、 Ubuntu 、 MIPS Linux 、 OS X;
I interpret 刘歧 <lq at chinaffmpeg.org> as saying that a developer is
expected to test their change on 5 platforms, namely "ARM Linux,
wine+MinGW , Ubuntu, MIPS Linux, and OS X".  They are also saying that
<https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide> either states this
expectation or gives instructions for how to compile on those 5
platforms.  But as I read the Compilation Guide, it does not state the
expectation, and does not explain how to cross-compile or to test on
platforms to which one does not have access.

I interpret the message from Dixit, Vishwanath <vdixit at akamai.com> as
trying to comply with the expectations I understood from the message of
刘歧 <lq at chinaffmpeg.org>.

So, what is the correct expectation for a developer testing their
change?  Run FATE only on the platforms you have, or somehow target 5
platforms regardless?

This would be another good piece of information to put in the
instructions on submitting patches.

Thank you in advance for the clarification.
     —Jim DeLaHunt

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953