[FFmpeg-devel] AMD external header

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Mon Nov 27 12:07:36 EET 2017

Am 27.11.2017 um 03:15 schrieb Mironov, Mikhail:
> Hi,
> I would like to summarize thoughts on several threads on this forum related
> to the issue of including AMD/AMF header file into FFmpeg source tree.
> It looks like they reflect some policies formal or informal.
> Mark tried to create some policy regarding this issue but wasn't successful.
> I believe a policy is always created to reach some goal.
> So my summary will be in form of triad:
> policy->goal->possible action
> I will skip all arguments, you already read them.
>     policy: do not include external headers
>     goal: minimize maintenance efforts and increase stability of the project
>     action: remove NVidia headers
>     policy: keep certain headers in the tree based on some criteria
>     goal: provide certain level of convenience for ordinary users
>     action: include AMD header

As I have stated before, I am fine with shipping the header, and would
prefer it over having to collect a bunch of headers from various
repositories.
To limit it a bit, I'd say in-tree external headers should be limited to
header-only interfaces to system-libraries(The nvidia and amd drivers
count as system libs) or other extreme cases like AviSynth.