[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.5 / 4.0

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Apr 19 17:33:47 EEST 2018

James Almer (2018-04-19):
> Had it been in 3.4 it would have mean a considerable ABI breakage as
> well, at least without the eventual backwards compat change.

Can you explain why you think that?

When advising on these changes and reviewing patches, I was very careful
that they do not introduce API nor ABI changes.

Apart from bugs in protocols that were not fixed immediately, the only
change visible for applications is if they register a custom callback
for a packet protocol and yet decide to return 0 to indicate EOF. This
was never a documented practice, is logically absurd (0 is a valid
packet size) and inconsistent with similar practices (UDP socket do not
return 0 for EOF).

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George