[FFmpeg-devel] [GSoC] FFserver further development direction

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Apr 26 03:00:26 EEST 2018

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 11:33:53PM +0200, Stephan Holljes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've discussed this on IRC a bit, but I don't want to exclude those
> views that are not present there.
>
> The consensus seems to be that there are more disadvantages in using
> the http server of libavformat than there are advantages.
>
> This arose partly out of the discussion that there is no way to get a
> connected peer's address through the public API (as the filedescriptor
> is hidden in private structs).
>
> The alternatives that were discussed were libmicrohttpd or writing the
> whole project as an nginx module.
>
> Both have their share of advantages and disadvantages. While I have
> started to read the documentation on both of these, I can't clearly
> point out which is the better choice.
>
> Most people (including my mentor) spoke out in favor of utilizing nginx.
>
> I'd like to know what the rest of the developers think is best for the
> project. Any pointers to good alternatives to look at or things to
> think of we are missing are appreciated!
>
> I am already not sure how to incorporate rtp into an nginx module
> (since it is one of the goals on the roadmap). Maybe someone knows how
> to either work around it or knows a project where that was done?

I think making the code depend on a specific external http implementation
would be a mistake

If we look at other successfull "http related" projects they tend not
to be specific to one http server

For example if we would look at trac (the bug tracker we use) it
supports a range of http servers and also comes with its own native
http server (tracd)

You can kill me, but you cannot change the truth.