[FFmpeg-devel] MPEG DASH Profiles

Ronak ronak2121 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 01:57:09 EET 2018

Hey all,

Is there a reason why ffmpeg only uses the MPEG DASH LIVE profile? Even if I want to do VOD, it reports that profile in the manifest files.

I'm thinking of adding support to provide the 4 profiles that MPEG DASH supports, and use the same optimization we used to improve the fMP4 generation for HLS.

Here is the bug that I'm referring to: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7281 <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7281>

Would the group here be okay with a change like this? For backwards compatibility, we could let LIVE be the default profile.

I've noticed that ffmpeg is coded primarily for video and LIVE streaming, and other use cases are not as well supported. Why is this the case?

Ronak