[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] avcodec/avcodec.h: Add encryption info side data

Jacob Trimble modmaker at google.com
Mon Jan 8 21:40:55 EET 2018

> I'd assume we'd wait with applying this until the mp4 patch that uses
> it is reviewed. I'm fine with this patch and I think it can be pushed
> as it is, although I just noticed an APIchanges entry and minor version
> bump is actually missing. You could add them when sending the final
> patch set.

Added APIchanges entry and version bump.

> The format of teh side data should be choosen so that demuxers and encoders
> producing it can interoperate with muxers and decoders consuming it.

> Please correct me if iam wrong but if some containers can store more than
> others, then the "other" containers would not use that extra information nor
> set it but it could still be using a compatible representation for interoperability

Well I guess I can do the same thing for this as for the
frame-specific encryption info.  There will be a user-friendly struct
for accessing it and a binary format that will be stored in the side
data.  This will allow different (de)muxers to use the data in a
generic way.

> These should be checked against size, making sure the data is consistent

Done.  Also added addition overflow checking.

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 2:42 PM, James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com> wrote:
> This being in libavutil, the two functions using AVPacket should be
> changed to take and return a byte array instead, that the caller
> manually either got from side data, or will afterwards adds as side data.

Done.