[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2018

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 02:08:58 EET 2018

On 1/23/2018 2:27 PM, Pascal Massimino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for coming late to the game...
>
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Thilo Borgmann <thilo.borgmann at mail.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> yet again, the registration for Google Summer of Code 2018 has opened.
>>
>> Like in the previous years, we've setup an ideas page in our wiki:
>> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/GSoC/2018
>>
>> Same procedure as every year - we need to define more interesting tasks
>> for students to apply for and fellow developers to mentor them. So please
>> feel free to suggest a project and volunteer as mentor or backup mentor as
>> you see fit. You are welcome to edit the wiki directly or just post your
>> suggestion here.
>>

> Anyone interested in a project  around completing the animated-WebP support
> in ffmpeg?
> Hooking up libwebpmux / libwebpdemux libraries would be helpful.

The WebPAnimEncoder API from libwebpmux is already supported to encode
animated WebP (libwebp_anim encoder). The native muxer writes the
packets untouched in that case instead of writing the ANIM headers itself.

> There was a request some times ago:
> https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-October/218547.html
>
> I can help with the libwebp interfacing.
>
> thx
> skal/

Ideally, a GSoC project would add ANIM support to the native decoder
rather than adding a new decoder based on the WebPAnimDecoder
libwebpdemux API, but at least one of the two should definitely be
implemented.

Thanks.