[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] Adds ESPCN super resolution filter merged with SRCNN filter.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Jul 4 19:50:16 EEST 2018

Hello,

On Wed, 4 Jul 2018, at 18:42, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > The point is: you can recreate all of those arrays.
>
> I believe the only way to recreate (some of) the
> arrays in libavcodec/*data* is to look into old
> FFmpeg sources but I apparently misunderstand
> you, sorry.
>
> I always thought we can use these arrays of numbers
> because arrays of numbers are in general not
> copyrightable but you seem to disagree?

It's not at all a problem of copyright, but a question of being free software or not.
And yes, array of numbers are not copyrightable.

> > If OP dies, you can still take over.
>
> In the case of this filter, you can always recreate
> the numbers using the github repository, no?

Sure, but the numbers are not meaningfull at all.
How can you be sure that the dataset is sane?

> >> Is it "code" or data that was computed with a copyrighted
> >> algorithm?
> >
> > How can you know, if it is not explained, and you cannot
> > reproduce it?
>
> If you believe it is insufficiently documented, you - ideally
> before the commit - should ask for more documentation.
> (This can of course be done now.)
>
> > How is it different from a binary blob?
>
> I thought a "binary blob" is an executable program that
> you load into some hardware (or a simulator) and it
> gets executed.

How can you be sure that this is not obfuscated code?
See the issue about intel "open source" driver and its video decoder on Debian.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734