[FFmpeg-devel] Looking for a consultant

Jorge Ramirez-Ortiz jramirez at baylibre.com
Fri Jun 22 09:40:27 EEST 2018

On 06/21/2018 11:59 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>> Input: mostly ProRes (10-20Gb), HD to 4K res, 90 mins average length.
>>
>> Output: a set of .mp4 files at 5 different resolutions, up to 1080.
>> These are further processed (primarily bento4) to create multiple/
>> variable bitrate HLS and DASH streams, with encryption and DRM.
> (The most important information would be the target codec.)
>
>> On our office machine (iMac, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8Gb, macOS
>> Sierra), encoding typically takes 6-7 hours per film. Ideally, we
>> would like to cut this down to 1-2 hours.
>>
>> WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW
>>
>> 1. Hardware: what's a good hardware configuration for our needs?
> That depends on the question if you want hardware or software
> encoding (that nobody here can answer, only you).
>
>> CPUs, cores, RAM, RAM disk, graphics cards, etc.
> The more cpu cores the faster software encoding is, you
> will find information online about the performance of
> graphic cards for hardware encoding.

just for completeness Carl - although I doubt it applies to these high
performance/quality requirements- ffmpeg can deliver hardware encoding
support if the system on chip has a hardware encoder, runs Linux and
there is a v4l2 m2m kernel driver for it (this would bypass the need for
a graphic card). An example of a board that would meet these usability
requirements https://developer.qualcomm.com/hardware/dragonboard-820c.
performance and quality will vary from SoC to Soc.