[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC

Mark Thompson sw at jkqxz.net
Tue Mar 6 16:20:19 EET 2018

On 06/03/18 12:37, Dylan Fernando wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Dylan Fernando. I am a Computer Science student from Australia. I am
> new to FFmpeg and I wish to apply for GSoC this year.
> I would like to do the Video filtering with OpenCL project and I have a few
> questions. Would trying to implement an opencl version of vf_fade be a good
> idea for the qualification task, or would I be better off using a different
> filter?
>
> Also, I’m having a bit of trouble with running unsharp_opencl. I tried
> running:
> ffmpeg -hide_banner -nostats -v verbose -init_hw_device opencl=ocl:0.1
> -filter_hw_device ocl -i space.mpg -filter_complex unsharp_opencl output.mp4
>
> but I got the error:
> [AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x7fdac050c700] 0.1: Apple / Intel(R) Iris(TM)
> Graphics 6100
> [mpeg @ 0x7fdac3132600] max_analyze_duration 5000000 reached at 5005000
> microseconds st:0
> Input #0, mpeg, from 'space.mpg':
>   Duration: 00:00:21.99, start: 0.387500, bitrate: 6108 kb/s
>     Stream #0:0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), 1 reference frame,
> yuv420p(tv, bt470bg, bottom first, left), 720x480 [SAR 8:9 DAR 4:3], 6000
> kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
> Stream mapping:
>   Stream #0:0 (mpeg2video) -> unsharp_opencl
>   unsharp_opencl -> Stream #0:0 (mpeg4)
> Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
> [graph 0 input from stream 0:0 @ 0x7fdac0418800] w:720 h:480 pixfmt:yuv420p
> tb:1/90000 fr:30000/1001 sar:8/9 sws_param:flags=2
> [auto_scaler_0 @ 0x7fdac05232c0] w:iw h:ih flags:'bilinear' interl:0
> [Parsed_unsharp_opencl_0 @ 0x7fdac0715a80] auto-inserting filter
> 'auto_scaler_0' between the filter 'graph 0 input from stream 0:0' and the
> filter 'Parsed_unsharp_opencl_0'
> Impossible to convert between the formats supported by the filter 'graph 0
> input from stream 0:0' and the filter 'auto_scaler_0'
> Error reinitializing filters!
> Failed to inject frame into filter network: Function not implemented
> Error while processing the decoded data for stream #0:0
> Conversion failed!
>
> How do I correctly run unsharp_opencl? Should I be running it on a
> different video file?

It's intended to be used in filter graphs where much of the activity is already happening on the GPU, so the input and output are in the AV_PIX_FMT_OPENCL format which contains GPU-side OpenCL images.

If you want to use it standalone then you need hwupload and hwdownload filters to move the frames between the CPU and GPU.  For your example, it should work with:

ffmpeg -init_hw_device opencl=ocl:0.1 -filter_hw_device ocl -i space.mpg -filter_complex hwupload,unsharp_opencl,hwdownload output.mp4

(There are constraints on what formats can be used and therefore suitable files (or required format conversions), but I believe a normal yuv420p video like this should work in all cases.)

- Mark