[FFmpeg-devel] Proposal: Homebrew tap for FFmpeg

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Feb 8 11:03:36 EET 2019

Hello,

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019, at 21:41, Werner Robitza wrote:
> Homebrew has, with its 2.0 release, removed all options for its core
> formulae [1], including ffmpeg. This means users can no longer add
> non-default dependencies that aren't included in the core formula [2].

> I propose that FFmpeg maintains its own ffmpeg formula under its
> GitHub organization at github.com/ffmpeg/homebrew-ffmpeg (or similar).

Why do something special for homebrew, and not for all the other distributions?
Why is homebrew different? Are you going to merge all .spec files from all Linux distributions too?

> That creates a bit of a messy situation, as users are expecting to be
> able to build ffmpeg with additional libraries, including nonfree ones
> such as fdk-aac. This is no longer easily doable.

Helping people to build non-free distributions of FFmpeg is a very weird and dubious goal.
This is just helping other people violate the FFmpeg license.

> Please let me know your thoughts.

Do not use Github to develop. Github is not-free. Use Github to mirror, if you want, but not to develop.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734