[FFmpeg-devel] configure: Fix decklink license dependency

Elliott Balsley elliottbalsley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 03:03:02 EET 2019

> my understand was that nvenc was just calling the actual driver with a few trampoline functions. The kernel module is compilable, but the actual driver is not open source, and installed with the machine, but is called from the kernel module. Both are system libraries.
The Nvidia Driver is not part of the OS, it needs to be installed by the user.  Some distros make it easier by including it in their package manager, but not on Windows or Mac.  I’m not sure what kinds of calls are made to the driver, but it is definitely required.

> The Decklink part is similar, but has one extra layer of non-open source libraries that one need to install, and needs to be linked to.
The installer puts a few closed-source libraries in /usr/lib/ which is the same thing done by the Nvidia Driver.  I am still not seeing any difference between the two.

> On Feb 8, 2019, at 14:42, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can a driver for a very optional hardware
Calling this optional depends on the computer’s job.  In some industries it’s an essential component — I could name dozens of commercial and free softwares which rely on it.  And remember, it’s quite possible to run a headless machine that uses the GPU only for compute operations.
> that nearly no user possesses
Blackmagic has sold hundreds of thousands of Decklink devices, and the number of people who own a piece of hardware is irrelevant here.
> and for which you have to download a
> driver via a complicated procedure be called a system library?
You have to accept the confusing EULA, but the process is exactly the same for Nvidia, minus entering your name.  To obtain Nvidia drivers you must accept the EULA on their website.