[FFmpeg-devel] Proposal: Homebrew tap for FFmpeg

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Wed Feb 20 21:56:00 EET 2019

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019, at 11:48 AM, Werner Robitza wrote:

> I propose that FFmpeg maintains its own ffmpeg formula under its
> GitHub organization at github.com/ffmpeg/homebrew-ffmpeg (or similar).
> This will ensure that there's one formula users will discover when
> they look for an alternative tap, thus improving discoverability and
> avoiding fragmentation. We could use the above link as a starting
> point.

The alternative tap originally proposed by Werner went ahead independently and has been implemented at:
https://github.com/varenc/homebrew-ffmpeg

So if you're a Homebrew user looking for a formulae with additional options not present in the core Homebrew ffmpeg formulae you can use this tap.

More info is available in the community wiki:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/macOS#Additionaloptions

Note that this tap is not maintained by or associated with FFmpeg.