[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] colorhold filter

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Sun May 5 20:40:20 EEST 2019

On Sun, 5 May 2019, Nicolas George wrote:

> Paul B Mahol (12019-05-05):
>> Because Nicolas objected on initial implementation. Dunno if he still
>> object something on current updated patch.
>
> Did it have a proper review on the mailing list? If yes, then I do not
> oppose it. If no, then I oppose it.

I don't think you can insist on waiting for a review unless you plan to
do it yourself in a reasonable time frame. FFmpeg (in contrast to libav)
don't have mandatory peer review policy, and the fact that nobody cares
enough for a patch to review it should not mean that the patch should be
blocked indefinitely.

Yes, this can degrade code quality, but I guess there is a general
assumption that people who get commit rights won't mess up too badly, and
the gains of more/better features are considered greater than the risks of
unreviewed code getting in.

> Also, I would like to emphasize that you neglected to explain what you
> changed in this new version of the patch. That would have made it easier
> to decide.
>
>> This is to move forward and not be held back with blocking "arguments".
>
> So the question is: shall Paul be allowed to push significant patches
> that have not been reviewed?

There is some guideline about this in developer.texi, which says if noone
answers within a week, and you think it is OK, then push it.

Regards,
Marton