[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Project policy on closed source components

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Mon May 13 23:47:59 EEST 2019

On 5/13/2019 5:36 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Mo., 13. Mai 2019 um 22:32 Uhr schrieb James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com>:

>>> We have broken distros and packages before, we would not break it
>>> in this case;-)
>>
>> We would. Distros and scripts would be broken, and it would not be pretty.
>
> Would you please be so kind as to explain (if possible in detail) how
> this would be possible in this specific case?
> I do not understand how removing a non-free dependency can break a
> binary distribution.

>>> None of them had to be removed because the authors chose to
>>> violate our copyright (and refused to fix the copyright violation)
>>> so we decided to stop endorsing them.
>>
>> If you feel strong about it
>
> I don't, I just wonder how your interpretation of the question
> is more obvious than mine.
>
>> and if you think it justifies breaking
>> releases and pissing off distros and package managers handling half a
>> decade old well tested LTS releases, you can start a vote to remove it
>> from releases.
>
> Again: Please elaborate!

No, i wont. I'm tired of you having something in mind but never saying
it. You have a reason to think distros will not be affected? State it.
If it's right, then you stopped an argument before it started. Don't try
to lead the other party to reach to the same conclusion you came to when
a single paragraph can prevent it. It wastes time and patience, and the
latter is something people on this list have run out of long ago.

The vote was to make the removal that already took place official. If
you want it gone from release branches, start a vote for it explaining
why something that exceptional should be done and why it would not be an
issue. As i said, i don't think you'll have a hard time harvesting
positive votes for it knowing the above precedent.