[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Project policy on closed source components

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon May 13 23:53:23 EEST 2019

Am Mo., 13. Mai 2019 um 22:46 Uhr schrieb Hendrik Leppkes <h.leppkes at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 10:37 PM Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > We would. Distros and scripts would be broken, and it would not be pretty.
> >
> > Would you please be so kind as to explain (if possible in detail) how
> > this would be possible in this specific case?
> > I do not understand how removing a non-free dependency can break a
> > binary distribution.
> >

> There are other people that use and build ffmpeg, and track release
> branches.

But not distributions as claimed above.

> And they may as well be building only for themselves a
> non-free binary.

Absolutely.
And they can still do that after reverting a possible removal but
they would realize that we are not endorsing the library anymore.

> Release branches provide a guarantee of API, ABI and feature
> stability.

And we sadly did not always hold that guarantee=-(

> We shall not violate that for some petty feud.

I wonder if this isn't exactly a case where it should be violated.
Contrary to the cases where we - unfortunately - have
violated it in the past.

Carl Eugen