[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Ban Nicolas George from project

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Sun May 19 00:48:23 EEST 2019

On 2019-05-18 11:57 -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 5/18/2019 9:24 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> > On 5/18/19, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Voting is not yet another mobbing tool for when you get tired of other ways.
> >> If you wish for an end to that feud, you can ask other developers to try and
> >> help, but you've kept this going for years and usually responded somewhere
> >> between dismissive and insulting to any such attempts.
> >> If you wish to keep the feud going, please deal with the consequences
> >> yourself and stop dragging the whole project into your self-created messes.
> >>
> >> Sorry for the bluntness and my excuses if I ruined the chances for a
> >> peaceful weekend.
> >
> > You are obviously biased toward Nicolas, and far from being neutral.
> > So I will just ignore your tries to be "helpful".
>
> You're not helping your cause in the slightest with this kind of reply.
>
> Just drop this. This is not how you solve a conflict between developers.
> A call for a vote without first presenting the issue for debate to the
> community isn't going anywhere.

This is so sad :(

And I am looking at both of you Nicolas and Paul.

From what I know libavfilter wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today
without you two!

There needs to be room for discussion on the mailing list. If Nicolas
has a comment that "blocks" one of your patches Paul, you should be
polite and try to implement it or to find convincing argument that
shows that it is better to do things differently. Yes, the process
can be weary and demotivating at times.

OTOH Nicolas should accept that often perfect is the enemy of good and
having a solution now can be better than having it later or never. Also
I think it is required to provide help and pointers and not only to say
it is blocked because of X. Just less black and white. The world isn't
ideal and there are advantages and drawbacks to each and every thing.

  Alexander