[FFmpeg-devel] Creating WebVTT via Segment Muxer

Soft Works softworkz at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 2 01:48:23 EEST 2019

Hello all,

I’ve implemented a solution for a problem then creating WebVTT segments with the segment muxer, but before I submit a patch I wanted to check back for opinions about the approach.

THE REQUIREMENT

I need to do HLS segmentation for video/audio while additionally creating one or more subtitle playlists and segments. Very simplified it’s like this:

ffmpeg -i INPUT
  -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -c:v:0 copy -c:a:0 copy -f segment -segment_format mpegts -segment_time 6 -y "segment%d.ts"
  -map 0:3 -c:0 webvtt -f segment -segment_format webvtt -segment_time 6 -write_empty_segments 1 -y "sub_segment3%d.vtt"

THE PROBLEM

The mpegts segments are being created in a constant and regular way.
But not necessearily in the case of subtitles: When hitting a time range without any subtitle event, the segmenter stops generating subtitle segments, even when write_empty_segments is configured.
It’s not that write_empty_segments would not be working, though: As soon as a new subtitle event reaches the muxer, it catches up by creating the missed empty segments all at once. This might be OK for precreating content for HLS/VOD scenarios but it’s a behavioral bug when you rely on having accurate results while the process is running.

THE CAUSE

That’s rather trivial: When there are no subtitle events, there are no packets arriving at the segment muxer (for vtt) and there’s probably nothiing that the segment muxer could do about it.

A REASONABLE APPROACH?

After some rather ugly ideas I found that the best way to bring some more action into the vtt segmenter might be to map the video stream in addition to the subtitle stream – not with the purpose of outputting the video – just to ensure regular activity in the segment muxer.
Also the segment muxer has implementation for having a ‚reference_stream‘ and the video stream is supposed to be this anyway.

Remains one problem: The WebVTT muxer (libavformat/webvttenc.c) errors when there’s more than a single stream. ("Exactly one WebVTT stream is needed.)
And that’s the change that I’ve done: Removed the single-stream limit from the webvtt muxer and simply discard packets from other streams instead of failing.

What do you think about this?
Or does anybody have a better idea?

Thanks,

softworkz