[FFmpeg-devel] Is it ok to add G.722.1 decoder as external lib?

Tomas Härdin tjoppen at acc.umu.se
Thu Sep 19 10:10:12 EEST 2019

tor 2019-09-19 klockan 13:58 +0900 skrev Hyun Yoo:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 7:28 AM Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am Di., 17. Sept. 2019 um 02:37 Uhr schrieb Hyun Yoo <easetheworld at gmail.com>:
> > > I implemented a g.722.1 decoder by linking FreeSwitch's libg722_1
> > > as external lib like libilbc, libspeex(ex. configure --enable-libg722_1)
> > > (https://github.com/traviscross/freeswitch/tree/master/libs/libg722_1)
> >
> > Please provide your patch by either sending it to this mailing list
> > or putting it somewhere so it is kept for interested people (after
> > the kind reactions you received).
>
> Let me sum up.
> Non-free codecs are not allowed in ffmpeg codebase except
> linked as external lib like fdk-aac (added to EXTERNAL_LIBRARY_NONFREE_LIST)

Non-free originally came to be because of fdk-aac, which is open source
but doesn't meet the requirements of the (L)GPL. Some have taken this
to mean that we should include wrappers for proprietary codecs, which
has also been done (arguably by mistake) for things like NDI. This has
led to much friction..

I think we should try and talk to FreeSwitch and/or Polycom and see if
we can get them to relicense to something suitable. If Polycom are
worried about competitors, perhaps they would agree to dual license
under the AGPL?

/Tomas