[FFmpeg-devel] Ableton live aiff file

Adam Johnson me at adamj.eu
Fri Sep 20 10:58:06 EEST 2019

I have some aiff files in my music production library that I'd like to
convert to flac. However they aren't recognized by ffmpeg:

$ ffmpeg -i Raylon-190-Full.aif
[aiff @ 0x7fc3ce800000] unknown or unsupported codec tag: able is not
implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from Git. If the
problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has not
been implemented.
[aiff @ 0x7fc3ce800000] If you want to help, upload a sample of this file
to ftp://upload.ffmpeg.org/incoming/ and contact the ffmpeg-devel mailing
list. (ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org)
[aiff @ 0x7fc3ce800000] could not find COMM tag or invalid block_align value
Raylon-190-Full.aif: Operation not permitted

These files can only be decoded by Ableton Live. Quicktime, VLC, MPlayer,
and ffmpeg can't read them. I believe the 'able' tag is Ableton's
proprietary format. I know it's 24 bit but no more.

I exported one through Ableton to a 44.1khz 24 bit wav and the filesize
comes out exactly the same so I know the format is not compressed. Also the
exported wav matches the waveform precisely since if I add it back  with
inverted phase I hear nothing.

Here is a sample file, in aif format and wav format:

https://files-adamj-eu.s3.amazonaws.com/ffmpeg-devel/Raylon-190-Full.aif
https://files-adamj-eu.s3.amazonaws.com/ffmpeg-devel/Raylon-190-Full.wav

(I tried uploading to the ftp server as per debug message but couldn't
connect.)

Thanks for any help reverse engineering this format!

--
Adam