[FFmpeg-devel] 5.0 release

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Sun Jan 2 16:12:37 EET 2022

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2021-12-31 20:40:24)
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 10:45:46PM +0530, Gyan Doshi wrote:

> > > ok
> > > when do people want me to make the branch ?
> > > any preferrances ?
> > > should i do it now or continue waiting?
> > >
> > > I saw on IRC some sugestions to make it at a past commit to keep some
> > > code out
> >
> > It would be nice to have a public date set a few days into the future.
>
> yes, i intended to do that, unless people wanted a ASAP/NOW branch
>
> i guess 3rd january seems like a good choice
> 1st and 2nd as being close to newyear probably would not be ideal so
> 3rd seems the soonest good date
> but we can push this out more if people want? or also do it earlier
> of course that assumes nothing unexpected happens
> (and something unexpected always happens...)

There were some disagreements on IRC a few days ago about what should
and should not go into the release because of insufficient fuzzing and
the danger of introducing security issues.

To avoid conflicts around this in the future, I'd suggest (for future
releases) to create the release branch a significant time (e.g. a month)
before doing the actual release.

Opinions?

--
Anton Khirnov