[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 5.0

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 21:29:56 EEST 2022

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 2:23 PM Michael Niedermayer
<michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:

> Hi
>
> According to our
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Downstreams
>
> Noone and nothing is using 5.0
> should i make another release of 5.0 ?
> should i move 5.0 to olddownloads ?
>
> does anyone use it ? plan to use it or know of someone using it ?

Fedora 36 still uses FFmpeg 5.0 as I discovered there was an ABI break
that made upgrading to FFmpeg 5.1 not possible for F36. FFmpeg 5.1 is
used for Fedora 37, though.

This had apparently been also discovered by openSUSE some time ago:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/multimedia:libs/ffmpeg-5/work-around-abi-break.patch?expand=1

Fedora 36 will still be supported until June, so I would appreciate it
if another release of 5.0 would be made.

Do we have ABI testing in place for submitted patches? I haven't seen
any evidence of CI testing of patches submitted to the mailing list,
but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? If there is, maybe we can
consider adding some kind of ABI testing for release branches, using
tools like libabigail[1] with abidiff[2]?

[1]: https://sourceware.org/libabigail/
[2]: https://www.mankier.com/1/abidiff