[FFmpeg-trac] #1339(avfilter:new): Auto insert fps filter as adapter for overlay filter inputs with different framerates

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Tue May 22 15:54:54 CEST 2012

#1339: Auto insert fps filter as adapter for overlay filter inputs with different
framerates
             Reporter:  annorax      |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |
Analyzed by developer:  0            |

Comment (by Cigaes):

 I think Reimar explained pretty well why your suggestion is not a good
 idea and is, in fact, not properly defined in the first place. Please
 remember that filters must be designed for general use, not for any
 specific use case.

 Currently, the overlay filters produces one output frame for each input
 frame on its "main" input. It uses the timestamps to determiner which
 overlay frame must go on the main frame.

 Adding an option to output a frame also when the overlay changes, like
 Reimar suggests, is of course possible.

 As far as I can tell your claim that it ignores the timestamps on the
 overlay input is just not true, and I can confirm that two video at
 different frame rates with visible synchronization stay on sync. The worst
 that happens is an off-by-one bug that is already underway of being fixed.

 Please, be more specific about the actual problems you experience and are
 trying to solve.

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/1339#comment:6>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>