[FFmpeg-trac] #2099(avformat:closed): FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though format supports it

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Sun Feb 3 14:32:41 CET 2013

#2099: FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though
format supports it
             Reporter:  JohnGalt     |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  closed
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0

Comment (by JohnGalt):

 I found a way to get an m4v file that has AAC, AC-3 and DTS-MA or TrueHD
 in it!

 You can use Handbreak to do this.  On the audio tab, tell it to transcode
 to AAC, and/or AC-3 and then add another track of the original DTS-MA or
 TrueHD and tell it to do a paththrough.

 This will successfully generate the m4v file with all 3 tracks and I've
 been able to confirm that it works fine by playing back the DTS-MA track
 in VLC with bitstreamed 7.1 audio that my receiver correctly identified as
 DTS-MA.

 Incidently, unlike the same file created in ffmpeg, Windows 8's Video app
 played the AAC track correctly.

 It would be HUGE to have FFPMEG do this. Then there would be no need for
 m2ts!

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2099#comment:43>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>