[FFmpeg-trac] #2213(undetermined:closed): subtitle crash: malloc: *** error [...] incorrect checksum for freed object [...] Abort trap: 6

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Feb 6 11:08:40 CET 2013

#2213: subtitle crash: malloc: *** error [...] incorrect checksum for freed object
[...] Abort trap: 6
             Reporter:  julian       |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  closed
  SIGSEGV ass mov_text               |               Blocked By:
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  1
Analyzed by developer:  0            |

Comment (by Cigaes):

 Replying to [comment:8 cehoyos]:
 > I believe it is acceptable '''(and expected)'''

 I think you overestimate the users.

 > that the conversion from ass to mov_text will damage some and drop other
 subtitles and that the resulting file does not show all effects that the
 original ass track encoded.

 That may be acceptable, but that is what happens when
 {{{-fix_sub_durations}}} is '''not''' used.

 > Not acceptable imo is ffmpeg producing unusable output files without any
 warning.

 Under what circumstances do you get that?

 > With -fix_sub_duration, the resulting file is watchable (with
 subtitles).

 Let me correct you: the parts of the resulting file that you looked at are
 watchable. Most of it will be, but the parts with overlapping subtitles
 will not.

 > I am neither claiming this is expected behaviour, nor that it works
 perfectly but it is nonetheless currently needed to produce a useful
 output file.

 It is currently useful for ignoring errors, but that does not make the
 output file useful. Advocating its use will only let the users produce
 damaged files and delay a proper solution.

 > I'd like to keep the file

 I am 100% in favor of keeping all files, but please stop suggesting using
 {{{-fix_sub_duration}}} in this circumstance, it is 100% wrong.

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2213#comment:9>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>