[FFmpeg-trac] #2099(avformat:closed): FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though format supports it

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Thu Jan 3 07:22:19 CET 2013

#2099: FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though
format supports it
             Reporter:  JohnGalt     |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  closed
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Changes (by cehoyos):

 * status:  new => closed
 * version:  unspecified => git-master
 * resolution:   => needs_more_info

Comment:

 I will close this as "needs_more_info" because there is neither a sample
 for TrueHD in isom nor is it clear on the mp4ra page that TrueHD should be
 supported at all (mlp is not exactly the same thing and I would be mildly
 surprised if Dolby chose "mlpa" as code and not "thda" or similar).

 You repeatedly mention "m4v": In FFmpeg nomenclature, "m4v" means mov-for-
 iPod or at least iDevice. These devices currently do neither support
 TrueHD nor DTS (and not DTS-HD) and there is currently to the best of my
 knowledge no indication whatsoever that this will change in the future. So
 I think this ticket should be about mov or isom in general but not "m4v"
 (using the FFmpeg meaning).
 Muxing DTS in mov works fine (although it may never have been tested with
 any proprietary software that is supposed to support mov and DTS), if you
 want to mux DTS-HD use -atag dtsh, for DTS-HD Master (lossless) use -atag
 dtsl.

 If you can show that muxing DTS in mov is broken in the sense that it
 cannot be played with software that is supposed to play it (I would not be
 surprised at all), please open a new ticket with more information / a
 sample that allows playback.

 If you can provide a TrueHD in mov sample, please reopen this ticket.

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2099#comment:18>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>