[FFmpeg-trac] #2099(avformat:closed): FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though format supports it

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Thu Jan 3 20:01:59 CET 2013

#2099: FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though
format supports it
             Reporter:  JohnGalt     |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  closed
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0

Comment (by cehoyos):

 Replying to [comment:30 JohnGalt]:
 > The ONLY format that is supported by all of them is M4V/MP4.  Thus the
 point is, that software like plex etc. can easily bitstream the 7.1 audio
 tracks properly when used with them, AND the same file will work with the
 other various players.

 That sounds promising: Please explain which exact software will support
 decoding (or bitstreaming) TrueHD in mp4 or DTS-HD in mp4 and I will try
 to support muxing such files with FFmpeg.
 Or provide a short sample that worked for you.

 > Hence if you want a format that works on all players (i.e. I have
 Windows 8, Plex, Ipad, Iphone, roku and Google TV devices) so you don't
 have to constantly be transcoding with plex (i.e. direct play/stream to
 all devices) and can be downloaded onto the devices without a lengthy
 transcode process as well, the format of choice is m4v NOT MKV.

 Who suggested mkv?

 > Thus it is entirely rational to want to store the 7.1 tracks and
 generate a ac3 compatibility track for fall back as well, which is what
 I'm trying to accomplish.

 I completely agree! If DTS-HD or TrueHD are supported by any software or
 device, we should really try hard to support it!

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2099#comment:32>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>