[FFmpeg-trac] #2099(avformat:closed): FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though format supports it

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Thu Jan 3 20:45:41 CET 2013

#2099: FFMPEG Does not allow TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio or DTS in .M4V even though
format supports it
             Reporter:  JohnGalt     |                    Owner:
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  closed
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0

Comment (by JohnGalt):

 Just FYI, I've built a Windows Service that will monitor directories where
 files get downloaded into, automatically convert them based on your
 settings, include any high res tracks that you want to keep, and convert
 down to whatever lower resolution track(s) you want.

 So for instance if it takes an mkv or an m2ts file in that has TrueHD and
 AC-3 5.1 and you say you want to keep truehd and ac351 it will copy both
 audio tracks. If the source only had TrueHD and you want ac351 too it
 would copy the truehd track and create the ac351 track automatically.

 In every case if the video is h264 it just copies it. If it's AVI it will
 transcode to h264.

 Interface is as simple as telling it what audio tracks you want and it
 will create whatever the source file will allow to be created from it, and
 jam it in. Same with subtitles, it will automatically insert all of the
 sub titles in, that are for whatever languages you check off.

 And it automatically goes out and gets the meta data for the source file
 and includes that in the destination file if supported (mkv and mp4
 support putting the meta data in the file) and I'm working on having it
 generate an .nfo file automatically.

 Once complete it will automatically delete the original and delete the
 parent folder if it's named the same as the source (both optionally).

 I'm also working on having it automatically name the destination file
 based on rules and create a sub folder under the destination folder for it
 as well.

 The idea is, get whatever you want from wherever you want, and this will
 convert it into a universal format with everything you want in it, give
 you all of the meta data and organize it all for you all automatically in
 the background based on the rules that you setup.

 Hence why I'm attempting to make this work, because the premise of having
 a single conversion happen once and then everything is automatically
 included and it will play anywhere without real-time transcoding is the
 point to the exercise.

 I'd rather not have to have people choose between 7.1 sound with mkv and
 only 5.1 sound and mp4 for obvious reasons.

 And I'd like to be able to use the ipod preset so that the moov atom gets
 put in the right place so that I don't have to run mp4box/qt-faststart
 after the file is generated to fix it.

 So if anyone can help get this going, I'm going to release this as an open
 source product once I'm happy with it. (I'm also planning on putting in
 bit torrent with full RSS feed support including magnets with a much
 better UI for it than utorrent/bittorrent has in their client, but that's
 another story.)

 For a sample file go here: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-
 definition-trailers.php

 Grab all parts for the DTS Master Audio sample, and use FFMPEG with -f mp4
 and copy the audio and video tracks. It will work fine.

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2099#comment:38>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>