[FFmpeg-trac] #3097(FFmpeg:new): -report option with parallel ffmpeg instances overwrites existing report files

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Oct 30 20:37:50 CET 2013

#3097: -report option with parallel ffmpeg instances overwrites existing report
files
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
             Reporter:  foldaway  |                     Type:  enhancement
             Blocking:            |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0         |
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 I regularly use two instances of ffmpeg in parallel. With the output of
 the 1st instance being piped to the input of the 2nd instance.

 I would like to be able to generate independent '-report' files from each.
 Currently only 1 report is generated, as the report file from the 1st
 instance is overwritten by the 2nd instance.

 I understand that report output can be specified using the FFREPORT
 environment variable but this does not allow sending the report of each
 instance to a different file. I also understand that specifying a report
 filename as an option is problematic.

 So here's a couple of imagined potential solutions:
 1: The unique filename is generated using date,hours,mins,secs at the end.
 If this included milliseconds, the files are unlikely to collide.
 2: Check for the existence of the report file before write & if it does
 exist change the report filename eg. add '-2' at the end.

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/3097>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>