[FFmpeg-trac] #2936(avformat:open): %-syntax for GIF output is not respected, can't write individual frames as images

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Mon Sep 16 10:54:49 CEST 2013

#2936: %-syntax for GIF output is not respected, can't write individual frames as
images
             Reporter:  slhck        |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  open
             Blocking:               |
Analyzed by developer:  1            |

Comment (by ubitux):

 Replying to [comment:10 cehoyos]:
 > Iiuc, a command line that used to work (and at least made sense to some
 degree) and did not produce an invalid file (contrary to tickets #2452 vs
 #2684) does not work anymore, I suspect this is how we define a
 regression, especially since reading the communication here in the ticket
 it appears that this wasn't known.

 I wonder how it really makes sense honestly... Why would you choose GIF to
 extract the frames? I mean, you could use PNG or even JPEG which are way
 more relevant. The main benefit of GIF is that it's being animated; it's
 compression and limitations really sucks. So my point was that I don't
 like the word "regression" for a changement of behaviour (at least I)
 wanted.

 Note that I didn't remove the keyword and don't plan to, but that sounds
 like overreacting... It reminds me of http://xkcd.com/1172/.

 Now speaking of fixing the issue, I suggest we make the image2 muxer able
 to mux GIF, basically dupping some code found in the GIF muxer (or
 duplicate the image2 muxer features into the GIF muxer, but that it likely
 more complex).

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2936#comment:11>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>