[FFmpeg-trac] #3519(undetermined:new): Decoding mpegts h264 i-frame into jpeg occasionally gives gray or green images

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Thu Apr 3 20:54:48 CEST 2014

#3519: Decoding mpegts h264 i-frame into jpeg occasionally gives gray or green
images
--------------------------------+----------------------------------------
             Reporter:  werner  |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect  |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:          |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0       |
--------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Comment (by werner):

 - No, the problem is not reproducible with ffmpeg itself (`ffmpeg
 -skip_frame nokey -i udp://<ip:port> -f image2 -vf
 "select='eq(pict_type,PICT_TYPE_I)',fps=fps=1/3" -vsync vfr
 ~/images/thumb%04d.jpg`), but I need to be able to support different
 output than the filesystem (storing in a memory cache with metadata) and
 processing via ffmpeg takes up more memory and cpu (again, I believe it's
 because it parses all the frames as opposed to just specific iframes).
 - I thought I should upload the file here as an attachment (which the
 limit is marked as 2.5MB); I didn't realize there was an ftp server (which
 suggests a 10MB limit, which I can try to stay under). I haven't
 pinpointed a small chunk of the video yet that will reproduce the problem
 as it is streamed on a loop in our lab. I will parse the video and upload
 as small of a chunk as possible.

 I did manage to fix my problem by saving old successful iframes and
 passing them along to the next iframe decode. Takes a bit more processing
 power, which I assume essentially emulates what ffmpeg does behind the
 scenes.

 I still think ffmpeg should report back to the user in some manner if it
 can't process a frame and instead produces a gray image.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3519#comment:2>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>