[FFmpeg-trac] #3649(avutil:new): Solaris Intel static libraries required AMD 3D NOW even though the CPU doesn't support

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Mon Jun 2 02:02:31 CEST 2014

#3649: Solaris Intel static libraries required AMD 3D NOW even though the CPU
doesn't support
---------------------------------------+----------------------------------
             Reporter:  bmitchel       |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect         |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:                 |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0              |
---------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Comment (by cehoyos):

 Replying to [comment:5 bmitchel]:
 > Replying to [comment:4 cehoyos]:
 > > Replying to [comment:3 bmitchel]:
 > > > I tried compiling 2.2.2 on Solaris Intel and I'm failing to link
 ffmpeg.

 > > Please test current FFmpeg git head.
 >
 > I will try this on a later build, but would prefer to use a stable
 build.  To date I have been working with FFMPEG 2.0

 Please understand that there is nothing ''unstable'' about current git
 head, it is exactly as stable as a release branch (but contrary to a
 release branch, we support it also if you are not a distributor).

 > > > bash ./configure --extra-cflags="-fPIC" --disable-mmx --disable-
 protocol=udp --disable-encoder=nellymoser --cc=cc --cxx=CC --disable-doc

 Why are you using {{{--extra-cflags="-fPIC"}}}?
 Why not {{{--enable-pic}}} (or neither of them)?

 > > Why are you using {{{--disable-mmx}}}? This seems like a very bad
 option, don't you agree?

 > I would agree yes, however I cannot get to compile/get to the linking
 stage without this.

 You should first take care about this important issue (that makes your
 binaries unusable and imo unsupported - at least I consider --disable-mmx
 a pure debug option).

 > Possibly an Oracle Compiler issue, I am unsure but the original article
 I used to help do an initial compile has stuck:

 > http://chrismiles.livejournal.com/25439.html

 This is so outdated that it has no relevance for your problem.

 > If i exclude --disable-mmx, I get the compilation issue:
 >
 > CC      libavfilter/vf_noise.o
 > "vf_noise.c", [line_noise_avg_mmx]:ube: error: Cannot allocate register
 for argument '%5' in GASM Inlining

 (Generally, a line number would help, fortunately it is unneeded here.)

 What does the following show?
 {{{$ grep HAVE_EB config.h}}}

 Could you test forcing one of them to 0?
 This should lead to a permanent fix.

 > cc: ube failed for libavfilter/vf_noise.c
 > gmake: *** [libavfilter/vf_noise.o] Error 2
 >
 > > Are {{{--cc}}} and {{{-cxx}}} necessary? Why?
 >
 > So it doesn't pick up gcc to build with.  We don't build with gcc, we
 build with the Oracle Compiler.

 Please do us all a favor and also test gcc.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3649#comment:7>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>