[FFmpeg-trac] #4749(avcodec:new): firefox crashes in ffmpeg code (2.7.2 and git versions)

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Mon Aug 3 07:52:30 CEST 2015

#4749: firefox crashes in ffmpeg code (2.7.2 and git versions)
             Reporter:  zazdxscf    |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect      |                   Status:  new
             Priority:  important   |                Component:  avcodec
              Version:  git-master  |               Resolution:
             Keywords:  crash aac   |               Blocked By:
             Blocking:              |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0           |

Comment (by zazdxscf):

 Thanks for applying that patch. (saved me some trouble figuring out how to
 get it to the mail list later on)

 No evidence for that (bit_size == 0) as far as I know, but I just wanted
 to be extra-sure just in case, without thinking too much about it.

 I haven't experienced anymore crashes yet, but I am keeping all software
 as is(not updating anything on my gentoo system) to see if any crashes
 still happen; and full time having youtube music playing(just as I did
 before in fact) in an attempt to give it opportunity to crash. All this
 inside a virtualbox gentoo guest OS, which I should probably mention that
 sometimes(kinda rarely) on boot manages to clock the audio driver wrongly
 and everything sounds slightly low pitched(or is it slowed too?):
  snd_intel8x0 0000:00:05.0: clocking to 41131
  snd_intel8x0 0000:00:05.0: clocking to 48000
 But no crashes happened when it was clocked wrongly, because I would
 restart(shutdown,start) soon in order to fix it.

 The gstavauddec.c  version that I used was latest available (~amd64 and
 amd64 both point to it) media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav 1.4.5-r1 * for
 gentoo no-multilib (not hardened either) (default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-
 multilib) with kernel 4.2.0-rc4 (git)
  * there's no possibility to (easily?) use the git version of gst-plugins-
 libav (there's no -9999 version)

 The ffmpeg version(commit 5bf8590) that I'm (still) testing (with those
 patches on top of it) is:
 # ffmpeg -version
 ffmpeg started on 2015-08-03 at 07:14:59
 Report written to "ffmpeg-20150803-071459.log"
 ffmpeg version N-74201-g5bf8590 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg
 built with gcc 5.1.0 (Gentoo 5.1.0 p1.2, pie-0.6.3)
 configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-shared --cc=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
 --cxx=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ --ar=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ar --optflags=' '
 --disable-static --enable-avfilter --enable-avresample --disable-stripping
 --disable-indev=v4l2 --disable-outdev=v4l2 --disable-indev=alsa --disable-
 indev=oss --disable-indev=jack --disable-outdev=alsa --disable-outdev=oss
 --disable-outdev=sdl --enable-bzlib --disable-runtime-cpudetect --disable-
 debug --disable-doc --disable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-hardcoded-
 tables --enable-iconv --disable-lzma --enable-network --disable-openssl
 --enable-postproc --disable-libsmbclient --disable-ffplay --disable-vaapi
 --disable-vdpau --enable-xlib --disable-libxcb --disable-libxcb-shm
 --disable-libxcb-xfixes --enable-zlib --disable-libcdio --disable-
 libiec61883 --disable-libdc1394 --disable-libcaca --disable-openal
 --disable-opengl --disable-libv4l2 --enable-libpulse --disable-
 libopencore-amrwb --disable-libopencore-amrnb --disable-libfdk-aac
 --disable-libopenjpeg --disable-libbluray --disable-libcelt --disable-
 libgme --disable-libgsm --disable-libmodplug --disable-libopus --disable-
 libquvi --disable-librtmp --disable-libssh --disable-libschroedinger
 --disable-libspeex --disable-libvorbis --disable-libvpx --disable-libzvbi
 --disable-libbs2b --disable-libflite --disable-frei0r --disable-libfribidi
 --disable-fontconfig --disable-ladspa --disable-libass --disable-
 libfreetype --disable-libsoxr --enable-pthreads --disable-libvo-aacenc
 --disable-libvo-amrwbenc --disable-libmp3lame --disable-libaacplus
 --disable-libfaac --disable-libsnappy --disable-libtheora --disable-
 libtwolame --disable-libwavpack --disable-libwebp --disable-libx264
 --disable-libx265 --disable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --disable-avx
 --disable-avx2 --disable-fma3 --disable-fma4 --disable-ssse3 --disable-
 sse4 --disable-sse42 --disable-xop --cpu=host
 libavutil      54. 29.100 / 54. 29.100
 libavcodec     56. 56.101 / 56. 56.101
 libavformat    56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
 libavdevice    56.  4.100 / 56.  4.100
 libavfilter     5. 30.100 /  5. 30.100
 libavresample   2.  1.  0 /  2.  1.  0
 libswscale      3.  1.101 /  3.  1.101
 libswresample   1.  2.101 /  1.  2.101
 libpostproc    53.  3.100 / 53.  3.100

 I'll give more details if a crash happens again, but honestly(from what I
 can tell so far, after 1 full day of no crashes) I'm quite optimistic that
 it won't. But who knows.

 PS: I don't know what to do about the potential causes that you mentioned,
 michael, but I will consider them when crashes happen again. Thanks for
 looking into it more deeply.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4749#comment:5>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>
FFmpeg issue tracker

More information about the FFmpeg-trac mailing list