[FFmpeg-trac] #4774(ffmpeg:new): Incompatibilities between XBMC/Kodi & mkvalidator relating to how FFmpeg muxes MKVs

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Sun Aug 16 16:40:13 CEST 2015

#4774: Incompatibilities between XBMC/Kodi & mkvalidator relating to how FFmpeg
muxes MKVs
             Reporter:  Drag0nFly    |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |
Analyzed by developer:  0            |

Comment (by Drag0nFly):

 Replying to [comment:12 gjdfgh]:
 > >had the FFmpeg muxer conformed to spec,
 >
 > Sorry but there's no spec. Maybe kodi devs should investigate exactly
 what caused this issue, and then we can decide whether ffmpeg did
 something wrong enough that it has to be fixed, or whether kodi should
 just fix their issue.

 So although mkvalidator reports issues only with FFmpeg-generated MKVs,
 this is somehow not related? I find that a little hard to believe.

 From the Matroska foundation's homepage
 (http://www.matroska.org/downloads/mkvalidator.html)

 ''mkvalidator is a simple command line tool to verify Matroska and WebM
 files for spec conformance. It checks the various bogus or missing key
 elements against the EBML DocType version of the file and reports the
 errors/warnings in the command line.''

 Also, if there is no spec, how can one design players to play back this
 material?

 I think we are venturing a little outside of what the issue is here, as it
 should not be that difficult to make sure FFmpeg muxes the files
 correctly; if there is a willingness to do it that is.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4774#comment:13>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>