[FFmpeg-trac] #4928(avcodec:closed): Cannot load ffmpeg x86 build on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) - libavcodec.so: has text relocations

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Fri Nov 13 22:54:35 CET 2015

#4928: Cannot load ffmpeg x86 build on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) - libavcodec.so:
has text relocations
------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
             Reporter:  ioeir2      |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect      |                   Status:  closed
             Blocking:              |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0           |
------------------------------------+-----------------------------------

Comment (by anirudhd):

 Replying to [comment:10 heleppkes]:
 > Then we have a stalemate, because its not realistic for >60k lines of
 assembly to be rewritten on a whim of some Google engineer.

 Is there a plan to address this in the near future?

 reply from Android Issue tracker
 "as the warning used to say (and we've actually restored the warning in a
 future release --- it was an accident that we removed the warning in the
 same release that starts enforcing no text relocations), text relocations
 cause unnecessary dirty pages and have prevented us from tightening
 security. the VM needs the "execmem"
 SELinux capability anyway, so the latter advantage doesn't extend to apps,
 but for other security domains (such as those used by the various native
 daemons on the platform) if you don't have text relocations, you don't
 need that capability. but the unnecessary dirty pages.
 "

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4928#comment:16>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>