[FFmpeg-trac] #5708(avcodec:new): Intermittently, encoding video with h264 Quick Sync can fail with 'EncodeFrameAsync returned -17'

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Fri Aug 19 02:37:59 EEST 2016

#5708: Intermittently, encoding video with h264 Quick Sync can fail with
'EncodeFrameAsync returned -17'
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
             Reporter:  mikes        |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------

Comment (by ctetrick):

 I have also encountered this error. I have never seen this on a Windows 7
 x64 machine. Until now I had thought this was a Windows 10 only problem,
 though on one machine it never occurred with Windows 7, it did after
 installing Windows 10. that was a Haswell machine (i7-4790S @ 3.20 Ghz)
 with only an Intel GPU.  I've also seen it on my Windows 10 x64 machine
 with an i7-4790 @4.00 Ghz, nVidia 970 and 32Gb ram. the most important
 difference being an outboard GPU.

 Also, FWIW I have seen this on very recent builds from the Zeranoe site as
 well as my own builds.

 I've seen the 'hang' on Windows 10 as well. In this case it was with the
 default Intel Graphics driver installed with Windows. When this happens
 MFX_EncodeFrameAsync returns MFX_WRN_DEVICE_BUSY forever. In my own build
 I added a timeout and treat it as an error.

 I also concur that the input doesn't seem to matter, although I see it
 more at 1920x1080.
 I've also tried a number of variations in rate control and other
 adjustments, but none seem to matter.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5708#comment:1>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>