[FFmpeg-trac] #6979(undetermined:new): Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 2: 23309 >= 23226 av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Jan 24 01:30:14 EET 2018

#6979: Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in
stream 2: 23309 >= 23226 av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument
             Reporter:  kayson       |                     Type:  defect
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
 Having this error on Ubuntu 17.10 with ffmpeg version 3.3.4-2

 The sample file is ~25GB so I don't have a place to upload it. I tried
 seeking to the problem area (~43:00) with this command:
 {{{
 ffmpeg -y -ss 00:43:00 -t 30 -i problem.mkv -c copy
 test_nonmonotonic_dts.mkv
 }}}

 But then I get the following error-

 {{{
 [matroska @ 0x55d638320d20] failed to avoid negative pts -83 in stream 0.
 Try -avoid_negative_ts 1 as a possible workaround.
 [matroska @ 0x55d638320d20] failed to avoid negative pts -41 in stream 0.
 Try -avoid_negative_ts 1 as a possible workaround.
 [matroska @ 0x55d638320d20] Non-monotonous DTS in output stream 0:0;
 previous: -676, current: -715; changing to -676. This may result in
 incorrect timestamps in the output file.
 }}}

 I tried adding -fix_sub_duration as suggested in #2212, but that didn't
 fix the problem.

 Please let me know what else to try to so I can get a sample uploaded. (or
 what options to use to fix the issue)

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6979>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>