[FFmpeg-trac] #7690(undetermined:new): FFmpeg QSV decode + VPP performance is just a fraction of what one gets with VA-API and MediaSDK

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Tue Jan 22 19:05:55 EET 2019

#7690: FFmpeg QSV decode + VPP performance is just a fraction of what one gets
with VA-API and MediaSDK
             Reporter:  eero-t       |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |               Blocked By:
Analyzed by developer:  0            |  Reproduced by developer:  0

Comment (by eero-t):

 I tried running multiple FFmpeg pipeline processes in parallel.

 With 2 processes, GPU is already running at full speed and with 3-4
 processes video engine is 100% utilized.

 While there's still clear performance gap to VA-API with multiple
 processes on KBL GT2, the gap is *much* smaller (<10%) than with a single
 pipeline.

 So, the main performance issue seems to be QSV backend somehow managing to
 fool 4.20 kernel (P-state powersave governor) into thinking that QSV isn't
 GPU bound, and keeping GPU at lowest speed, on all platforms I were able
 to test.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7690#comment:10>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>